Previous Episode | Index | Next Episode

Title: The Final Step to the Master Reloaded

Part: Third Arc, Prologue

Author: Matthias aka MysticMew (Solarsenshi@gmx.de)

Beta: H-Man #89995, partly xryuran

Status: Beta

Rating: R

Category: Romance, Adventure, Dark, lots of other things...

Pairings: Ash/Dawn(/May?), Brock/Ako, Leaf/Misty, added as revealed

Continuum/Spoilers: Everything up to the start of the Sinnoh League Tournament, from there on original plot.

Distribution: M&M DreamWorks Blog (http://mysticmew44.blogspot.de), M&M DreamWorks Archive (http://mysticmew.bplaced.net), Fanfiction.net (www.fanfiction.net), M&M DreamWorks archive and blog gets preference and the desired and best format, all versions will first go to the blog and archive.

Disclaimer: Pokémon©1995-2011 by Nintendo, Creatures Inc. and GAME FREAK Inc.

Story Disclaimer: TFSTTM Reloaded©2011-? (ongoing) by Matthias aka MysticMew

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Pre-Note

Another year, another arc for TFSTTM Reloaded. This is becoming a theme... Honestly, I did not mean to leave you hanging for that long. Maia seems to constantly hibernate in winter though... And for quite some time. Brainstorming was going slow until recently but now I have at least reached a point where I feel comfortable at starting and not messing up things.

Before everything else though. Two important points.

First. The first two arcs have undergone an overhaul. Mostly cleanup, some sentences being straightened out, an opening sequence added and all that stuff. It should be more fluent now, I hope. So if you want to reread to catch up for the new arc, feel free to do so. Another revision might not be coming soon. I have also slightly adjusted my formatting. For one that is because of the known issues but also because this way makes it easier to create flawless html (not the word garbage) by hand with a few quick search and replace actions. For more info on this, click back to the first chapter, I have added a longer note regarding this there.

Second. My archive has undergone an overhaul by the point you are getting this and you will find my new blog under: http://mysticmew44.blogspot.de and the new archive site at http://mysticmew.bplaced.net. Each and every update will go there and this time I really mean with greater priority. I hope that with a blog, more people are going to leave comments directly and I can gain some independence from the frustrating system of ff.net. So I ask you, if you really like this story or my writing in general, to follow this blog. It will be updated more frequently with news, updates among a lot of other stuff that I am planning to add. The archive will still exist as a backup for the stories, articles and other stuff though, but following the blog will get you all the necessary links you need.

As for me... Well, still no work yet. Against my initial better judgment (about quality) I have began a long-distance course as an online editor in April. Meaning I'm nearing the half mark. It's going fairly well, although I really do know most of the stuff discussed in the first books. And I am doing non-paying work as an editor for Germany's biggest anime internet radio, NSW-Anime. So between all that, I AM quite busy, which in the long run will probably affect update rates for this.

Finally, I have one last issue to address. Funnily enough, I have the most interesting and longest exchanges with readers that are upset with the Ash/Dawn/May-angle. Just recently one was sparked again from a pure Pearlshipper. Not that it was harsh or meaningless, I just find that point interesting. However... I will say this now ONCE and never again. In fact I will not respond to any such comments or reviews again from now on, so read and understand.

My pairing choices are MINE. They are not open for debate. I am as much susceptible to being a hardcore pure shipper of some pairings than most of you. I do also hunt for specific pairings (which ff.net now made even harder!) and will probably turn away from some. However, recently I have also come to the conclusion that such actions are not exactly productive since you deprive yourself of a lot of potential quality. What I especially cannot understand is leaving a story, one finds extremely good and well-written, midway just because they cannot stomach the direction a pairing may take. If you are like that, then that's your choice, of course. I do appreciate you leaving a review or comment or whatever if you do so, but don't expect me to change anything just to please your tastes. And if you want to complain about it... well, I would rather much you tell me what I could do better to make the development of a pairing more realistic and comprehensive. That would be time much better spend for either of us.

The morale of this... I have taken a bit of a dislike to pure shippers lately. Especially hardcore ones that cannot look past that one pairing. Do not expect me to comment on this again. If you want to leave constructive criticism on HOW I am portraying and developing a pairing (either good or bad), that is much more appreciated.

That being said... I can already see what will happen once Windragon66 reaches the end of arc 2. I was seriously contemplating removing his review (which would be a first for me) since it was really quite... offensive (not quite flamey, just language and shouting and well... read yourself) but I know he will probably disappear right at the point he realizes May's role.

Sorry for being so long-winded about this. I didn't even make much of a point... ;) I know a lot of you are just reading and enjoying the story for what it is and that I appreciate. Only the kind of people who are so diehard on a pairing that they want to see it in EVERY story gets on my nerves. Pearlshipping is fairly widespread by now, so they should just go elsewhere, if they don't like my direction.

Of course, I realize that my initial arc could be seen as misleading since the May-angle was only hinted at in the very end. All that was meant to be that way though. As such I hesitate to take advantage and add May to the character listing on ff.net (now that I can) and probably won't. It is supposed to be a surprise, a development the readers are meant to be experience and learn of along with the characters. If I make it clear from the beginning, it will take away much of the development. And the only real problem this will create is with pure shippers anyway.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

IMPORTANT

Again, I would be very glad for visitors to my new blog since my fanfiction are only going to be the jumpstart for this. I plan to add a lot of other things including news, articles (or perhaps more like essays) on various topics regarding anime, manga, games and fanfiction that interests me. So aside from staying updated on the progress of my work, you will get something more out of it. This is my first blogging experience though, so please be gentle with me as I am still learning all the features.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Time and Location Unknown (Mew)

Such destruction. To think the power of nature in the hands of intelligent beings could result into something like that. I remembered this being a very fertile place until not too long ago. A place where we had often met, where our small community had grown and our dreams connected. It had been in an innocent desire, a righteous wish... or so we had thought.

What trees remained of the forest surrounding the small mountain were almost lifeless, blackened in many places, just barely hanging by. The ground would be unfertile for years, perhaps even centuries too come. Maybe it would not ever again produce the lush green and the ambivalent life it had before.

The effects spread even further than that. Deep into the ground, up into the air where sharp winds howled and thunder echoed, and over the sea where the waves raged and even more lightning lit up a blackened sky.

Our sanctuary had transformed into this nightmare.

It had all been necessary. We had no one to blame but ourselves. No matter the reason, no matter the idealistic wish to protect our kind. What we had done had been far and beyond our understanding and we should have known better. This outcome was our just punishment.

"It is time. We have to finish stabilizing the seals."

I looked up, seeing that the familiar voice came of a large bird with rainbow-colored feathers. It seemed the other five had joined me on top of the mountain. Yes, it was time. There was no point in dwelling here, lost in what was and could have been. That route was forever closed.

"I still don't like this plan," interjected the deep voice of the shadowy being, floating just a little off to the side. He always made me rather uncomfortable, although that had nothing to do with his gruff character. That was all in his nature and he had always been loyal to our cause. The real reason probably lay in the fact he was my polar opposite now. "We shouldn't rely on humans to do our work."

I glared at him slightly, tired of the argument, obviously he couldn't leave it without at least a last reminder of how he felt about it. "If we could have handled it, then we wouldn't have needed to seal IT. Those were his predictions, are you doubting his ability?"

My opposite growled at the jibe but before he could continue, another of our group interjected. The white dragon/bird with wings shaped like hands had always been the voice of reason, the wise and tempered one, yet still potentially fierce when angered. "We have all agreed on this plan. Zero's precognitive abilities are beyond question. I do not believe the Lady Mew feels too eager about it either. This matter is our responsibility, yet for now this is all we can do."

My opposite grumbled. "I'm just saying that there is no reason we cannot grow strong enough to deal with it ourselves." And they were both right as always. I understood and felt the same, even if for different reasons. This mess was our doing and we should not burden anyone but ourselves. Unfortunately there was no telling how long this seal would hold exactly and what effect it would have on this abomination that we had brought forth. No one could guarantee IT would be weakened. No one could guarantee IT wouldn't be stronger than now!

"These arguments are pointless, we must hurry," the imposing golem spoke up, which in itself was a rare event. "If we remain here any longer, the seal will break." And as always he was the voice of stern and cold logic. Never much for conversation, he only said and did what was necessary, that much at least could be counted on.

Regardless, it seemed my opposite was not quite ready to concede just yet, as he opened his mouth for another argument. That was before the loud, rumbling voice of our last member immediately served to quiet him and smoother the air with its large and powerful presence.

Yellow eyes flashed dangerously as the large serpent uncoiled itself in the air. "Enough of this bickering. Our decision has been made and there is no turning back. We must now do our part so that there is still a future where we can see this atrocity gone from our world, one way or another."

And that ended it right there as we turned as one to do our duty.

End Flashback

Yes, it ended. So many things had ended that day and so many more began. Things that just now were drawing to an end again. That new path that started then, was reaching its conclusion, the seeds we had planted that day were about to reach fruition and just as Zero had predicted it would be six humans that would see this through with us.

I just hoped they were ready. The short time of rest did not seem to have done much for them but it was all that had been possible at this point. I believed that each of them was strong enough to succeed in the heavy burden we had to place upon them. The trials ahead, however, and not just from my fellow comrades of old, would push them to their limits and beyond. If anyone could do it though, it should be those six. I had to believe that.

How ironic. That I would so freely place trust in humans now. The long wait had shaped me, driven much of the innocent idealism out of me and opened new perspectives for me. I still believed this should be something that we, who had created this situation in the first place, should ultimately deal with it. Yet, time was running short and I knew that it wouldn't be possible without them. Not now, perhaps it never was.

"Alright, before Cynthia gets here," I addressed the group, noting the various expressions of physical and mental exhaustion and some of the emotional conflicts and traumas. It worried me, but we had no more time. "I'd like to go over the location of the seals and where we will find my brethren." The one thing I hoped was that they would not be too uncooperative after all this time. Certainly these children would have to earn their respect, show that they were ready for the power to challenge our grave mistake from the past. But I feared what time might have done to him.

Many had shared the sentiment that we shouldn't leave the task to humans, albeit the reasons behind this resentment differed. Yet, in the end, we all knew Zero's ability to predict the future was unmatched and couldn't be disregarded. I had had little contact with most of the others and couldn't say how they thought about all this today. The last we needed right now was discord.

Not if these humans truly were meant to be the key to achieving a true balance between our species.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

M&M DreamWorks Presents

The Final Step to the Master Reloaded

Third Arc: Elemental Trials

Prologue: Preparations

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Twinheart Island, Kanto (Ash)

To call the atmosphere somber would be akin to telling me I had won my Champion title with relative ease. Correct to a degree but in the end far away from the actual truth. One could have cut the tension with... well, a dull spoon actually.

The meeting room was small but more than enough for our small group. Yet... Looking around I wondered if anything ever would be alright again anytime soon. The events of yesterday had left deep traces within all of my friends. From their expressions and posture enough, it was obvious neither had slept very well. If at all. And I could easily include myself in that category.

The door hissed open and Cynthia strode into the room. "Good, you are all here." The Grand Champion probably looked like she was the most exhausted. And that from someone as professional of her said a lot about the situation.

From out of everyone it seemed Brock and Ako were among the least affected. The young woman I could understand. She had not experienced any of the confrontation from yesterday. Even being used as a shield and hostage did not really matter if you slept through it. As for Brock... No, I had to correct myself. He hid it well, however, there was no way his fiancée being abducted among all the other things had not shaken him quite a bit.

"I have just spoken to our forces on site. At this point the area is secure and it seems Team Rocket has entirely withdrawn. Unfortunately with such a wide-scale assault, it has been impossible to trace their path. But for now Cerulean should be as safe as it ever could be."

As painful as it was, I almost expected the comment. "It's far too late for that now." The bitterness in my oldest friend's voice cut deeply. Aside from Cynthia, Misty clearly looked the worst. I doubted strongly she had even gotten an ounce of sleep. Frankly, I could very well imagine that she might have rather opted not to sleep. To experience something like this... What would it be like for me? I couldn't even try to think about it and that although I had not the biggest attachment to Pallet after travelling for so long. It was home, however, and to see it destroyed like that...

The idea was inconceivable. Seeing Misty in such a state hurt, yes, but it hurt even more that I felt so powerless to do anything about it. What could I do after all. Turning back time was not something I could do. Right now, all I could do was walk forward and make sure that no more people had to experience what Misty did now.

Cynthia gracefully ignored the scathing remark. "I have secured us transportation. Are you still insistent on going now?"

Leaf squeezed Misty's hand before addressing her fellow Master. "We have to. I don't like this any less than anyone else here but Mew is right. It has to be now. None of the other locations will be easy to reach and take. After yesterday, Team Rocket will not sit idly. They will strike again and this time for real." I saw Misty wince at the choice of words, her free hand clenched. Leaf looked pained as well but she was in her 'professional mode' right now. I wondered if we all had to be like this to overcome the trials ahead?

Well, it isn't like I'm lacking motivation, I thought with a glance to my side. Despite the mood I couldn't help but smile fondly. The sight was... different. Definitely not what I would have expected some time ago, definitely not after May's first confession. My doubts weren't erased, of course. As Dawn had said, something like this took time. Neither of us could just snap our fingers and say everything was perfect. That would be nice but I guess without the effort it wouldn't be real either. Right now though, we were still a little under the effects of yesterday. Connecting on such a level to save May's life had made me understand what Dawn had seen before, the depth of feelings May had for both of us. Different for each but equal in strength, how it was tearing her apart. But also how honest these feelings were.

This spiritual closeness had not entirely passed and as such the strange scene next to me could be attributed partly to that. May, who hadn't slept very much either, was snuggled closely to Dawn and my actual girlfriend didn't appear to mind, keeping one arm lightly around the brunette.

No, I had all the motivation I needed to see this through. This... whatever this was or was going to be, I wanted to see it to its conclusion. Even if nothing came off it, May deserved that chance... WE deserved that chance. For that, however, we needed a peaceful world again where no pressure could influence our feelings and choices.

"Alright then." Cynthia's voice jerked me back to the here and now. She took a look at the map where Mew had marked the locations of the seals and I saw her grimace. She knew probably better than anyone how hard it would be to move around between four regions and get to all these places once the fighting really started. "At least that gives me time to arrange some things for now. Right now, I'm afraid only Leaf and Ash would be able to move freely at will. We are in a state of emergency after all and you will all need to be prepared accordingly. I should have proper identification that would give you as much authorization as any of the Elites ready by the time you are done in Cerulean. We will depart in two hours time." Cynthia really was all business and I envied her a little for that ability. For all I had learned in the last year and a half, the calm that being together with Dawn had brought to me, a large part of me still had that urge to go out and fight it out with Team Rocket. We couldn't do that. Not now. Not until we all had awakened our powers.

Just as everyone was about to get up and follow the Grand Champion out of the room, Dawn suddenly spoke up. "I think there is something else we need to do right now." Extracting herself from May for a moment, who had also straightened at the seriousness in my girlfriend's voice. "One thing is clear. This isn't going to be like any other adventure we have ever faced. It's not just about charging straight ahead into danger and saving the world." May chuckled lightly and I had a hard time suppressing a smile myself. Even Misty quirked her lips just slightly. "That is why... If things get tough, we need someone who has final say of how we should proceed. In other words... we need a leader."

That logic was sound and I could even agree... and yet I sweated and gulped a little as everyone almost immediately turned to me.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(May)

"How long will it stay like this?"

I really shouldn't ask. A big part of me didn't want to ask or face the reality that this was nothing but an echo of the powers connected and wielded to bring me back from the brink of death... and I really didn't want to think about that part either.

Chuckling weakly, Dawn didn't make an attempt to change our position though and for that I was grateful. "I'm not sure. Mew said the effects should fade soon. Probably sometime today." I could do with a little longer. I could do with forever. This... closeness was nice. There was nothing forced about it. At least nothing I could detect. This strong sense of rightness was heartfelt, genuine and... wonderful.

However, it wasn't real. Not yet. In a sense this was a lot of a slightly toned down version of what Dawn had made the three of us experience just a little before the Team Rocket agents had attacked. A glimpse of what could be, not what had been achieved already. Achievement after all required effort and that took time.

That they were willing to give this... us a chance should be enough for now. Still, I guess no one could really blame me for the guilty desire of wanting to hang onto this a little longer. And I really wished Ash was here, too. Both their presences had been about the only thing that had enabled me to get at least a little rest. And should I really be thinking that? Others have it worse than you, May, I chastised my reaction once more. Poor Misty had her entire home destroyed. How terrible did this have to be? Really I should be more grateful. I had not lost anyone. All the people important to me were still there and I even had the two that meant more to me than anything. Yet here I was lamenting over my close brush with death.

"What was it like?" I found myself asking, without really wanting to. The curiosity was there sure but I really wanted nothing more than to relish in this feeling of closeness. The hour of departure was drawing near though and with that the undeniable reality of our situation. I suppose Dawn could cope with it better since she had known for awhile now. For me it all felt surreal still. Ancient prophecies, mystical powers, an incorporate evil? That was something out of a storybook. Not something that should tangent me directly.

The fingers combing through my hair stopped for a moment but before I had time to really regret my question, they continued again. I looked up from where my head was resting in her lap and saw a mixture of emotions pass over her face, none of them clear enough to make out. The seconds ticked by without an answer and when she finally seemed to settle on one, it didn't look like she was completely satisfied, even if I had to admit her explanation then was rather fitting.

"Enormous." Dawn paused briefly. "I thought I was more ready for it. Mew teaching me, my developing Psychic powers. The gap couldn't have been that great... but I was wrong." Spellbound I listened, seeing clearly now the wonder and the tinges of... not quite fear, but respect that the other girl held at the memory of using her powers to save my life. "If I hadn't been so completely focused on what I had to do then, I don't think I could have handled it. And to think this was just supposed to be the normal state of our powers once we received our blessings..."

Silence reigned after that over a minute at least. I didn't count, enjoying the moment but also thinking deeply about what she had said. There was denying that her words didn't really help my confidence and my fragile heart that was still recovering from almost dying. If someone like Dawn, who had some training at least was so overwhelmed, could I really do the same. Could I make it?

"Are you scared?" And silently I added a "too" as well, not giving myself into the illusion that I could hide my real question and feelings from her. The fading bond was strong enough that even I – inexperienced as I was with these things – could pick up and understand some emotions from Ash and Dawn. To the latter I was probably an open book. "Of wielding all this power. I... It really scares me to think of that and... it scares me to think how hard it has to be for you."

The smile was small but grateful, warm and honest. It was worth all the trouble and enough reason to remind me later of what I was fighting for, what I could have. And not just from Dawn but from Ash as well. "Of course I'm scared. I don't think any of us really imagined having to do something like this. About a year ago, all I wanted to do was to continue to travel with Ash, become the best Coordinator I could and simply enjoy my life. I don't want to fight. But if it's that or seeing everything we hold dear destroyed, then I can find the strength to do so. To protect that, I will go against this, no matter how big it will become."

So radiant. I had seen the spark the first time we met, understood it implicitly, although it took a lot longer to put into words. This here was someone so absolutely beautiful that I couldn't help but fall for her. It had just been a glimmer then; a glimmer that had grown brighter, more pronounced and shaped. Not an overwhelming glare but something warm and inviting. No, I had not made the wrong decision. Even if it would burn me, I could neither give up on that light just as I couldn't give up on what I had carried around in my heart for Ash for so long.

"You are strong. I wish I had half your confidence and resolve." I tried to stop myself but it was just spilling forth. "I tried so hard. I thought I had at least caught up a little with you and Ash. But in the end, thinking that impressing you with growth as a Coordinator would make a difference was stupid after all. Ash has become so much more mature and you are so strong and confident. Compared to that I am... just..."

Suddenly I was yanked up and found myself staring into intensely blazing blue eyes. "You are May. The May who fought me to a draw in one of... no, the damn hardest but also most enjoyable battle on a stage ever. You are the May who resolved a kidnapping and prevented really important information to get into the wrong hands all by herself. But most importantly..."

I stiffened slightly, feeling her arms close around me in a tight embrace. Regardless how much at ease the temporary binding of our hearts had made us, all of us had unconsciously agreed to not cross a certain point. "You are the May who bravely jumped into the path of a Hyper Beam to protect me! There is no reason for you to feel inadequate." This wasn't about being better, less or equal. This time I could hear it clearly, too, and I could feel the honest emotion from Dawn which made me almost choke with tears of my own. I didn't think it could get any more emotional than this.

Once again I was proven wrong. "And I just realized that there is one thing I have not done that I should have long ago and that no matter what else happens, you deserve." My eyes widened when her soft hands were suddenly sliding up against my cheeks, cupping my face. "Thank you." With that she leaned forward to kiss me...

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Leaf)

"I thought you were all professional but it seems even you can get distracted."

I winced at the comment which actually just managed to jerk me out of my thoughts to realize he had been there and talking to me! Sheepishly I scratched my head and at once realized I had to look like him a few years ago while doing so. The small grin was there immediately and I couldn't but grin back.

"I am afraid you have discovered that I am not so perfect after all." While trying to make light of it, I also knew it wouldn't be working very well. We might not have seen each other very much in the last years and we had changed but I'd like to think that at the core we would have stayed the same person. I did not want to seem like a stranger to my best friend at least. Especially now that we finally had some time to talk. Even if once again, it was just a small margin.

"How is she?" Yes, Ash did understand. Not that it was this hard to figure out, but I hoped I had been able to be as convincing as possible. Everyone was already nervous with the situation and as the highest-ranking member of the six of us, I had to at least try and not show my own worries.

"I wish I'd knew what to tell you. She seems okay on the surface but I'm worried what will happen once things get heavy and the first time we'll encounter Team Rocket agents again. We can try and pretend that Misty is strong enough to pull through but the sad truth is... trauma like this can affect even the strongest people."

Ash was silent for a moment, looking out of the window overlooking the southern side of the island. "She got you though. I think Misty knows how much you value her and that should at least give her an anchor." I smiled slightly, wishing I could be so positive. Of course, I wanted to believe the same, however, I had been there. I knew what had happened, seen already what the others had only seen from the footage. That had affected me. And it wasn't even my home.

A change in topic was definitely in order. "I suppose you have no such problem, judging by how relaxed you are with suddenly having the affections of two girls." I snickered at his guilty expression. I knew, of course, most of this had something to do with the healing Dawn had pulled off and that it probably wasn't permanent. A shame really but perhaps better in the long run. "I guess you really are destined to be together." It was meant as a teasing comment but even as I spoke I realized my slip-up. I suppose the entire situation really was getting to me more than I liked, at least that could partly explain my blunder.

"Yes, well, I admit it isn't so impossible as I thought... wait..." Ash was not exactly fast on the uptake either and I had almost thought he hadn't caught the meaning of my sentence. However, this Ash was not the kid from Pallet anymore. He was a seasoned Trainer, a Master even in his own rights and an excellent strategist. And being in a serious relationship for a good year had obviously made him much sharper for other things outside of battle as well.

"You mean... Does this have something to do with this prophecy Mew told us about?" I looked away, fully knowing I was just stalling. Really, it shouldn't be me having this conversation. I only knew the few snippets that Zoroark had known. "Let me guess... I had my fair share of prophecies and I know how this goes. Considering your reaction you basically mean to tell me that this was supposed to happen, that regardless of what we do, this thing with May, Dawn and I will..."

Oh well, someone had to say it anyway. There was no way it wouldn't have come up. I was sure Mew had planned to tell anyone about the full prophecy after our visit to Cerulean anyway and a part of me wasn't sure if the Legendary was really the right person... or life form to explain to them why it wasn't at all what Ash surely was thinking right now.

Holding up a hand, I stopped Ash from getting worked up any more needlessly. "Look. Don't even go there." I shook my head as he started to protest, pinning him down with my sternest look and he eventually wilted, settling down and seemingly willing to listen as well. "This is what I think. First of all, you should know that all this prophecy apparently talks about concerning you three is that you need to be 'united'. That can mean any such thing. Friendship, love, any other form of attachment... that's the funny thing with prophecies. They always have a way of coming true but the road there can be vastly different from what one might first envision. Above else, if you start to see things like destiny and fate as absolutes that already determine everything in your life... what will keep you going? What will have you still making an effort?"

Ash opened his mouth again to answer, then snapped it shut again, obviously struggling to find an appropriate answer. I didn't give him time to make a comeback. Personally I had had my doubts that this thing with May could work out but seeing them now... All I wanted was for my best friend to be happy. Genuinely happy. "If there is such a thing, I believe it is not destiny shaping our actions but rather our actions shaping destinies. I doubt anyone can ever truly give you answer to such questions and that I suppose is why you shouldn't know the future. Mew didn't tell you because of that, I'm sure. You didn't know. May certainly had not even the inkling of an idea. Do you think it was destiny that made her fall in love with both of you? If you do, then you can easily say the same thing about you and Dawn. Do you want to break down your relationship to something that you had no control and conscious choice over?"

This time it was Ash that looked away and I was relieved to see the tension draining from him. "No. I'd never want that." He inhaled deeply, before releasing the breath slowly. "I guess you are right. It doesn't matter what some all-powerful being prophesized about us ages ago." He laughed slightly. "I think even Dawn understands that better than me, which is probably why she was so open to the idea in the beginning." That actually surprised me. Since I had only been there for the dramatic conclusion, I had no idea what had happened before that. That it had been Dawn who had seemingly encouraged Ash to take May's feelings serious was... unexpected. "I guess you really are more mature than me even now. That's why I really think you should be the leader."

Ah, so that was what this had all been about: it seemed I had effectively sidetracked his original intention of seeking me out. Not that I was too surprised really. He had looked rather uncomfortable with the idea. But I also understand why it had to be that way. We were rather similar in many character traits that mattered but Ash was the central figure in our group. Apart from Ako – who wasn't part of the Chosen anyway – all of us were connected together by him. Besides...

"The leader should be the one everyone trusts the most. Most of your friends don't know me that well." I stopped him right as he opened his mouth. "No, no, I don't take offense to that. Besides... you realized it, too, didn't you? When Mew showed us the locations?" He nodded slowly. There was no need to spell it out: we did not have the time to cover all that ground. Giovanni and this Missigno wouldn't sit around waiting and while we were still without our elemental powers, we were vulnerable. That left only one option and that was to split up to cover more ground more quickly. "It is only natural that you are taking Dawn and May with you. This leaves me with the rest. So in the end... we both get to do the hard job."

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Brock)

Last minute checks were something we had been drilled for at the Academy almost every day. For a qualified Field Medic, being prepared was one of the most fundamental necessities. Really, the worst thing that could possibly happen was if we could not help a patient because we lacked the right medicine or tool. And not lacking because it wasn't there but because we simply forgot. Agents out in the field would have no problem getting their supplies filled, including any extra orders as long as it was available. As such, lacking something through simple oversight was a no-go.

With the situation about to deteriorate, it was even more essential to choose carefully what was necessary: who knew if a few weeks or months from here we'd be in a position to get so easily resupplied as would be the case now?

"We should rearrange and split up the necessities. If you take one half of our list and I take the other, we can fit in more," Ako said as she made to reach once more into her supply case. Her nervousness was obvious and I didn't like to see it. A big part of me had still wanted to keep her out of this, it was supposed to be between the six of us. This harebrained plan Mew had for us would only get her in danger I might not be able to protect her from. After all, I had already failed once, twice if you counted her recklessness at Aprico Village. Both times, I had been lucky to prevent the worst in time, yet both times it had hardly been due to my effort to salvage the situation. Next time I might not be that lucky.

Unfortunately I knew it would be a pointless argument. The Ako of a few months ago might have relented. Fearful of conflict and the responsibility of the outside world, she might have listened to my advice. Now, though... Aprico Village had shaped her and while the kidnapping had definitely shaken her, both events had only driven her to a firm, stubborn resolve. I dared not even bring up the question. Despite the short time we knew each other, I understood my fiancée rather well. She wouldn't back out. Not after this.

That made what I knew I had to say to her now even harder. For her and for me.

"Ako." Gently I reached out to grasp her hand and waited until she faced me. Her expression for once was hard to read. The nervousness was there, yes; we had been prepared for hard missions but this was going far and well beyond whatever we had been trained for. Honestly, it should not be something new recruits should face. Unfortunately I had no choice in it and Ako... well, I had just gone over that. "I think it's best that way."

Ako took a glance back at the cases, then returned her attention to me. "R-Really? I thought perhaps... I mean..."

God, this was hard. Why did it have to turn out like this? I wanted to blame someone, anyone. I probably had several candidates as well. However, it was not their fault and it would honestly not matter how it turned out. The end result for us would be the same.

"We can't do that, Ako. You have seen the places we have to travel to. I'm sure Leaf and even Ash are aware of it, too." I wasn't too sure about Misty, she was not exactly in a good state of mind right now and I doubt it would really matter to her anyway. "Team Rocket has made a formal declaration of war. They'll be giving us a few days for cities to respond, a week tops and I doubt that very much. We'll never be able to travel everywhere in that short of time. And once it starts, it'll be even slower going. We..."

"... will have to split up?" I blinked. Her voice was shaky still but also with a sad note of resignation. She knew. She had realized the same thing apparently, once again showing that she was merely lacking a bit in worldly experience, and even that was quickly being filled in. Ako was definitely a quite clever woman and under any other circumstances I would be proud of her. Now though... No, even now I probably should.

"It's okay, Brock. I... I knew it would come to this eventually. The thought was nice, sending us both out together. But that was just for the Contest. I-I can deal with it really. I promised myself I would be stronger, so I have to do what is necessary. After all this is what I have trained for all my life. Having two Field Medics in the same group... is pointless."

Honestly, I wasn't sure if I was glad she was taking this so well or worried. Perhaps a bit of both. Ako had grown quite a bit since we left Heal Bell. Sometimes it didn't seem like last week but more like a few months ago at least. I knew though, I knew how much of a brave front she was putting up.

"Maybe..." I started, suddenly being the one grasping for futile possibilities, and it was Ako this time who squeezed my hand, slowly shaking her head.

"Thank you, Brock. It means a lot to me that you don't want to leave me alone. However... I think... Yes, I think this is for the best. A big part of me wants nothing more than to stay with you, to draw strength and courage from your presence. But, I'll never grow on my own like that either. You've done your best to prepare me after all. Or do you think I'm not ready to be on my own?"

That's downright unfair, I lamented. What was I supposed to answer to that? Of course, I thought she was ready. I never doubted that she had the talent and after Aprico Village she had the drive as well. All my misgivings might very well be quite egoistical. Not wanting to let her go, wanting to protect... wanting to prove that I could protect her. Not wanting to be the only one in a group without my significant other present... in the end all those arguments rang hollow and weak. And Ako knew it, too.

So I swallowed my pride, swallowed my impulses. In the end being too driven by such had only brought about the worst scenario. Had I not been so self-centered about wanting to know everything right away, instead of doing what I could, Ako would not have been kidnapped and used as a shield, May wouldn't have almost died. I had to start trusting other's judgments again, including Ako's... and also my own.

"I know... I know you are the bravest and most beautiful woman I have ever been blessed to know. Just... Just promise me that you'll be careful out there. No overly-dramatic heroics... That's not our job." I intended to laugh but the humor stuck in my throat, choked up by emotion. Pulling her close and into an embrace, her head resting on my shoulders, I breathed in that unmistakable scent deeply, trying to burn the memory into my brain. "I love you, Ako."

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Naru)

My senses were by far not as strong like this, as if I had been totally shifted into my Espeon form, but even like this, it was easy to pick up the immense somber atmosphere; downright gloomy actually. Our Trainers almost made an exception to that, even with the events of yesterday morning still fresh. That was a good thing, I suppose; May's condition worried me enough already. She had been almost bi-polar ever since the Grand Festival, swinging between resignation and extreme, almost forced determination. And this near death experience had clearly shaken her up. Leaving her with Dawn right now seemed to be the most calming solution and I didn't mind getting to know my future companions a bit more.

"I still have to thank you properly. Not only did you save my life back then but you have also looked after my sister." He was a strange one, that boy's Pikachu. I could feel the power oozing off of him but also many of his Trainer's traits: easygoing, serious when it mattered, determined to the very end. Yes, my sister had found a good personal Trainer.

Pikachu stopped and scratched himself behind the right ear. "Ah... don't mention it. We are all friends, so it was natural. I'm just glad you guys could find each other. What are the chances, I mean..."

Indeed, what were the chances? I had told May I did not believe in destiny. But to see all of us who were scattered across the land together, all ending up in the care of one of those that had such an important task ahead of them... could this really be coincidence?

Regardless of the answer, the end result was what mattered and for that, for the first time since forever, I was rather happy.

Flashback

How long had it been now? Not really that long, I guess. Yet, it felt like a small lifetime. I was trying hard to keep my composure. At least this time. The night before had been too emotional for all of us. I had almost not believed it could happen after all. However, now we were all together again.

What a strange twist.

Genki and Leafeon were curled up against each, the young Vaporeon in between them. Glaceon had joined Espeon and Jolteon, the other pair that had found each other a little prior to this occasion. Perhaps it was not so strange after all. We had all been looking for each, except for Glaceon who had not been born then and young Vaporeon who had been too young to remember.

"Looks like our family is together again." I looked over at Shadow, still rather... weirded out by the fact that she was supposed to be one of my younger sisters. That was probably why I hadn't recognized her from that video May had shown me from the Sinnoh Final. The connection was simply impossible to make. Without meeting face-to-face and the special bond we all shared as sisters, there was no way I would have accepted the reality yet either.

"You still owe us an explanation, how it is that you are so..." Yes, what exactly? Experienced? Mature? Or...

"Old?" Shadow chuckled quietly. "Guess you are not the big sister anymore." I glared at the dry humor but after awhile allowed myself a small smile. I just couldn't stay mad or even grumpy. Not right now. My family was together again and faster than I had expected. I could allow myself to enjoy that much at least. "Honestly," my sister continued. "I do not know. I remember fleeing like everyone else. I think I collapsed at some point and when I woke up, I was near Pallet where that Professor found me. I didn't realize until much later that the years didn't match up. It's not like we had any understanding of human time measuring."

That much was true. And I doubted I would have coped much better. No, perhaps I would have but only because of this accursed power of mine. For a young Eevee that had just escape horrible captivity, there was no way she could have realized something was amiss.

And I did believe her. After all, ever since meeting with May and Glaceon, I had been thinking about it. "You are not the only one it seems." I cast a look over my other sisters. The differences were more subtle but if I took all their different stories they didn't quite match with what I had expected. All of them had been of the same litter. Glaceon had been the last that had still had to hatch and the time between that and my meeting with her and May had always felt slightly... off. There were slight age differences in all of them, just none of them as obvious as with Shadow.

It was like someone had scattered us not only all over the regions but also through time itself. I did not want to believe it but... what other explanation was there?

"Does it really matter?" Shadow asked. "We are together again. And it seems we have all lucked out." Or whoever had displaced us, did so deliberately in such a fashion that we would end up with our current Trainers. But Shadow was right, the important thing was that were together again, away from Team Rocket...

And yet not completely free of them either. "You are right. And that's not what I want to talk about. We need to decide what to do from here on."

End Flashback

That everyone had decided to continue staying with their current Trainers and aiding them in the upcoming fight, even if it meant going up with those that we had been running away from, was an unanimous decision in the end. Of course, this was hardly about us any longer, I doubt at this point it was even about me, their plans were far bigger. And naturally I worried for my sisters – except Shadow –, if they were ready for this. Staying out of it was out of the question as well. They had done too much for us and even I had made up my mind. Seeing May almost die had made me realize just how good she had been for me. Without her, I would have lost myself in either hatred or despair. I would fight for her, even if it meant going up against them.

Besides, what better sort of revenge was there than to help thwart their ultimate goals which no doubt they had meant for me to play a part in as well?

"Well, we all decided to stick around, so you are not going to get rid of us so easily." I wouldn't have made a lighthearted comment like that some time ago, yet another thing to thank May for. It wasn't all her though. Part of it was because of my current companion as well. There was something about this Pikachu – aside from all obvious traits – that piqued my interest and I wasn't sure yet what.

Not quite at least, I thought, catching the small flush. "That's... um, great," he stammered, starting to move again with a brisk pace. But I do have some ideas.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Misty)

I hated the waiting and wished we would just get going. That meant going back to Cerulean... or what used to be Cerulean. However, even that was preferable to the waiting. I did not want to calm down. Because if I did, I would start to think and I would realize again how bad it really was. That undeniable truth... no, I could not afford to fall apart, not until they had paid for what they had done.

Taking a walk to clear my head had not helped at all. It had not even served to distract me since everywhere was a reminder of the threat that Team Rocket had made on the world... by example of my home. There were still a fair amount of visitors staying on Twinheart Island. Some had hastily departed home, those who still had one since there had been causalities, at the very least among the buildings, in other cities as well. Some were more cautious, probably frightened of what was coming and asking themselves if it was even safe to move around.

The entire island was a concentration of anxious energy, all awaiting the next shocking news. And that's why I really wanted to get moving as well. The longer we remained here, the more harm could be done by these monsters. They needed to be stopped and soon.

Sighing, I dropped down on the bed and absentmindedly released Starmie from its Pokéball. "Everyone thinks I'm going crazy." I chuckled. Perhaps they were even right. Crazy with what though, that might be the real question. One I couldn't even answer myself. I had so many people offering their 'condolences' lately, it was becoming annoying and only a further reminder of the tragedy that had befallen Cerulean, something I was sure I didn't need. It wasn't that I considered most of them dishonest, especially not those of my friends; at the same time, however, I could see the concern in all of them. Concern for my mental health. I couldn't even blame them. I wasn't sure if I would trust myself either right now.

Starmie nuzzled comfortably against my legs and gave a sound that was equal parts concern and encouragement. I chuckled without much humor. "You think so too, huh? Am I so wrong though? For wanting revenge? They destroyed my home, they killed so many people... for a demonstration. Is it so wrong to want them to pay for these crimes?" My oldest Pokémon did not reply but I felt a brief touch of comfort and understanding tugging at my mind which I was immensely grateful for. "I don't want anyone else to feel how I am feeling right now," I whispered quietly. And that was the real reason behind my single-minded drive, wasn't it? At least I hoped so. The things that were inside me, wanting to push out and surely overwhelm me... I really did not wish them on anyone else.

I really wished Leaf would get back. Sitting around here alone was bound to get me thinking even more and I couldn't even release most of my Pokémon here... A big part of me was tempted to go down to the beach and take a swim but for that the time we had left really was too short. There was still an hour remaining though and there was nothing I could do. Checkups were done, my Pokémon were all in perfect condition.

Just as I was about to head out again, to find myself some way to pass the time, my salvation arrived as the door slid open and my girlfriend returned. She looked fairly serious but then again that was a rather normal state for the Leaf I had gotten to know and love. Perhaps I was one of the few that really gotten to see her relaxed and normal side these days. I doubted even Ash had gotten that privilege much since they had reunited. Just thinking about her helped to quell the tide of raging emotions inside me and her presence gave me a stabilizing anchor that I was infinitely grateful for.

If I could not begrudge anyone the concern, it was her. As much as I wished she wouldn't always look at me like I was about to snap any moment, Leaf had that privilege of acceptance. I would always do the same for her. "Hey, how did it go? Anything important?"

Leaf grinned lightly. "Ash was just worried about the leader thing..." But that wasn't everything. I could see something had her... irritated. Leaf caught my gaze and obviously realized there was no point in hiding. "Well, and I managed to let that part about him, Dawn and May slip," she admitted a little sheepishly.

Ah, that explained her odd behavior. "I imagine he was not amused." Honestly, I did not envy Ash for his troubles and was very glad that I had no lingering attachments left to him. His situation was messy enough. Although it seemed that somehow they were on the way of making it work, as crazy as that thought might be.

Leaf shrugged and let herself fall on the bed, stretching out with a sigh. "I had to do some fast talking but I think he got the point that it is pointless to decide his future on something as intangible as a prophecy. They have the right idea in mind as it is now. There is no need to overthink things." And it certainly wouldn't get any quieter in the future. They had to figure this out on the go and that most certainly looked like a trial by fire eventually; whether that was good or not remained to be seen. Unlike Leaf I didn't think that all relationships formed under extreme situations were doomed to break apart in quiet times.

Silence reigned for a moment as none of us had anything else to contribute at this point. I knew Leaf had gotten little sleep the last two nights since she had always been there when I had woken up frequently... until I had decided to just stay up and she had promptly gone along with it. Sleep was obviously not going to come now either since my girlfriend looked up at the clock, then back towards me. By now I could see it coming already and honestly, even if it was Leaf, I had absolutely no desire to get into this again.

"It's almost time. I hate to ask but are you really..." she started but I cut her off, swinging myself around and ending up straddling the other girl much to her surprise,

"Am I ready to go there again? No. But we have to. Even I can see the logic." Leaning down I silenced whatever she wanted to say with a quick but hard kiss. "End of discussion. I'd rather not fret about it the rest of the hour when I could be doing something far more enjoyable."

Leaf put up a short struggle in protest but eventually relented, her arms coming up around me. For just a short time I could at least forget all the nastiness in the world.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Dawn)

The hour of departure had finally arrived. Everyone was eager to get going by now for one reason or another, including myself. That much I could tell even without any psychic powers. The ever present and even strengthening gloom all over Twinheart Island was... irritating to say the least. As soon as I had recovered most of my power from the healing, I had quickly worked on my barriers. Sabrina had been right: psychic powers could become a curse sometimes. The more you got attuned to the thoughts and feelings around you, the easier it became to pick them up unconsciously.

Of course, it wouldn’t be much better where we were going. At least most of the people should have been moved away by now which should make it easier; I really didn't need that distraction for the task ahead. I had tried not to think about it too much but finally coming face to face with what Mew had been preparing us for in the last few weeks had me somewhat apprehensive. She might have said it was a mere formality at this point but I knew it wouldn't be quite that easy.

The group was quietly processing over the small landing field when I felt a squeeze from my left hand. I smiled slightly as I felt Ash's concern and reassurance, before it was followed from my other side. The temporary bond that included all three of us had ebbed slightly it seemed but wasn't completely gone.

I couldn't accurately answer you why I had given that kiss to May other than that it had felt like the right thing to do. Everything I had said still applied: what I felt now was merely a projection of a possibility. Of course, I couldn't say that this glimpse wasn't affecting me, that it wasn't compelling me to do everything to make it work for real. But saying that I loved May all of a sudden didn't work like that. Not if it was supposed to come from the heart. And this... possibility would only work like that. There was no point if I couldn't find myself able to achieve that feeling on my own. And that was probably also a reason why I had kissed her. Unreal or not, at least I could give her that one thing. For what she had done for us, risked for us, that was the least she deserved, even if nothing else ever came off it.

There was no helicopter waiting for us, but an actual, small but stylish plane. You saw these even less than helicopters. Especially the small, private ones for just a few people. Considering the size of our group though and the need to move quickly, it made sense.

I really have to teach one of my Pokémon Teleport, I made a mental note. That would come in real handy as we travelled around. Mew could do it and it shouldn't be that hard for at least Espeon to learn, considering we had long since passed the usual restriction of what was possible to learn for a Pokémon.

"This shouldn't take that long. If you want to rest a little longer, I suggest you do it now." Cynthia shot a meaningful look towards Leaf and Misty – clearly indicating their somewhat... disheveled appearance – who had the good grace to at least blush and look somewhat rueful. No one laughed though. I for one could understand the impulse and if it hadn't been for May, Ash and I may have engaged in some of what those two had been doing as well.

I settled in between Ash and May, the supporting flanking seemingly having shifted for the moment since this was going to be my important moment. That made me smile slightly, grateful for the support and hoping more than ever that we could make this work. To me this wasn't about missing something. It was more about what could be there. Now that I knew, my perspective had changed. I couldn't deny that at all.

A lot of things really had changed. About a year ago I couldn't have seen myself reacting like this, and it wasn't all about the powers that had awakened inside me. What they had done was to help me understand the responsibility I carried now. I wasn't blind to the facts: we might have appointed Ash as our leader and in terms of battle experience and talent, he and Leaf were doubtless in a class of their own. But neither of us had really awakened any substantial amount of their powers. I had already gotten a taste, one that had shaken me in the enormity of the experience. When we were done in Cerulean I would be the first – and for now the only one – to tap into this power. If we ran into opposition as was very likely the case, it would be up to me to make a difference.

That thought was scary but also something I had to face. Developing psychic powers as a side effect and training in them had at least prepared me somewhat. I was calmer now than I had ever been before and I understood so much more on a level that other people never would. The experience was quite overwhelming at times but had also helped me to grow as a person. Or at least I hoped so.

Even if Mew didn't need to test me, I believed the true test would come after I got these powers for good: how to wield them, how to withstand the pressure of being the first and only one. After what happened at the Contest I knew that Giovanni would hunt for us more firmly and more viciously now. We were a threat to his ambition and he wouldn't allow to us awaken our powers if he could somehow help it. For the moment it would be up to me to protect Ash and May from the worst he would throw at us.

What a strange thought indeed. Could I really do it? Could I shoulder all that responsibility, the safety of my boyfriend's and potential future girlfriend's lives?

I cast a glance around at the others. Misty was curled up against Leaf, actually taking Cynthia's advice to heart by having dozed off in a restless slumber. Brock and Ako seemed to be concerned about something that I couldn't quite decipher and didn't want to probe deeper. Finally I came back to Ash, who had an arm around both of us while looking out of the window serious and a bit anxious, and May leaning against my shoulder, apprehensive but trying her best to be determined.

No. I had to. I had to be strong for them. For the sake of our relationship, because what we had experienced for the last day had been too precious to throw away, but also when it came to fighting for them. Regardless how ugly it would get. What happened yesterday both at Twinheart and Cerulean was not something I wanted to see repeated. If I would have the power to do so soon, then I would shoulder that burden until everyone else could catch up. The point of no return had long since been crossed. There was no room for hesitation anymore.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Narrator)

The helicopter takes off from Twinheart Island. "And with this our heroes head off to face the harsh task set before them. A task none wanted but that now they have to complete for the sake of peace. As the world teeters on the edge of war, what trials will await these brave young humans and their Pokémon? Stay tuned to find out."

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Maia's Prophecy

Maia: I see, I see, I see in the future...

MysticMew: Still haven't given up on this?

Maia: And I see you still haven't given up on interrupting me, you lazy bum.

MysticMew: Excuse me? Who hibernated for months?

Maia: Well, certainly not me. I would have been there if you just got motivated enough.

MysticMew: Why you...

Maia: *smirks* You cannot blame me. It's in the standard author-muse contract.

MysticMew: Wha... Really?

*Maia nods smugly and MysticMew runs off*

Maia: Anyway where were we? Oh yes. I see...

MysticMew (from off): Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Maia snickers but then looks annoyed as continued cursing and wailing can be hurt.

Maia: Oh, forget it. I don't feel like it anymore... *flies off*

MysticMew (peeks head inside): And I still say it's her fault.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Author's Notes

I realize that what I dub a prologue would be several chapters for some. ^_^ The cast is all there now though and things are bound to get big on a regular basis.

First off, a BIG thanks to H-Man #89995 who came around at a time when I had almost given up on finding a capable who would stay with me for longer than a few chapters. Fast, efficient and critical. I like that. We had some various interesting discussion since giving him this for a trial run. He hasn't committed to anything past TFSTTM Reloaded, so if any one (preferably a broader knowledge of the stuff I like) would still like the job, I have compiled a request on my archive page with everything I expect of a beta and you can also find a list of my known/preferred media and ships there.

Not much to say for this. Mostly a setup for the actual arc. This prologue was slow-going, mostly reflection and some issues that needed addressing. I hope I did so well enough. From now, this story will travel down a rather dark path and will probably get more fast-paced and action-orientated. Not too much, since pure action does not suit my writing style too much but we are going to be at war after all. There will be battles and conflicts and all this sort of stuff. However, I warn you now. The focus will stay mostly with our heroes and they will be doing a lot of skirting around while the war is being fought around them. So don't expect giant battles with armies on both sides or something (perhaps in arc 4). The battles will be a lot more personal.

The opening flashback I plan to do frequently over the course of the arc, giving brief glimpses to the time around the origin of Pokémon and the battle with Missigno. I'm not too sure yet about all of them but they will probably be related somewhat to the theme of the chapter (hence, if one group is facing off with a specific Legendary, expect to get something with that one).

Has someone figured out what happened to Shadow and some of the others? If not, I will reveal it at some point, but not now.

One last time the Ash/Dawn/May-angle. I tried to address some of the points I had raised in my recent discussion on the subject. For everyone that still needs it spelled out. THERE IS NO RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE THREE. At least NOT YET. The interaction in this chapter is a direct result of the healing Dawn supplied for May and as such a possibility of what could be. Both Dawn and Ash are now "inclined" to accept May but that will not come over night. In fact, the development will continue throughout the story, probably until the end. I think it is pointless to say it is something that will not happen. Most of you know me by now. But at this point in the story and for the characters, it remains a possibility. So, please treat it as such.

And no, no one is acting out of character because these are the characters I have built up from the limited "depth" of the anime and the changes that have shaped them over the course of the story. This goes most importantly for Dawn. She is not the same anymore as in the Sinnoh Arc. Developing her powers early has given her insights and understanding she has not had before and of course, she will act on that. Please keep this in mind when saying things like: I can't see Dawn agreeing to that.

The plan from now will include a shifting focus. Our six heroes will get the most screen time of course, here and there some of the others if necessary, otherwise I doubt I will be able to handle it all. ^_^ Shifting focus means that most of the time a specific group or character will get more time in this chapter but then less in another, depending on the situation.

I honestly can't say when I have chapters ready from now on. You will have to be waiting longer than usual, I think. Between my studies, work for NSW, searching for some "real" (read: paying) work and other factors, I won't be able to crank them out at a 2-3 week interval basis. At least not regularly. I will try my best though.

On that note... No, this will not be the last arc as I had initially planned. A fourth will definitely be required. This one will focus on the beginning of the war and mostly the individual trials our six chosen have to go undergo with various encounters and events during that trip. The true resolution will have to wait for arc four.

For now, I hope all of you are still there and hopefully still willing to provide us with feedback. Either the traditional way or over our new blog. In fact we really, REALLY would appreciate if that would work out, since it could mean some independence from the system that aggravates me so. Either way is fine though, as long as you leave some.

HOWEVER if I don't get at least ONE comment on my blog by the time the next episode is up, I will be very, very cross with you. This whole coding and tedious formatting was positively making me insane. So, a little appreciation, please? PLEASE?

Ja ne, yours

Matthias aka MysticMew

Previous Episode | Index | Next Episode

Send Feedback

M&M DreamWorks©2013 by Matthias Engel aka MysticMew. | Impressum | Contact Info