Previous Episode | Index | Next Episode

Title: The Final Step to the Master Reloaded

Part: First Arc, Sixth Episode

Author: Matthias aka MysticMew (Solarsenshi@gmx.de)

Beta: H-Man #89995, partly xryuran

Status: Alpha

Rating: R

Category: Romance, Adventure, Dark, lots of other things...

Pairings: Ash/Dawn (main), added as revealed

Continuum/Spoilers: Everything up to the start of the Sinnoh League Tournament, from there on original plot.

Distribution: M&M DreamWorks Blog (http://mysticmew44.blogspot.de), M&M DreamWorks Archive (http://mysticmew.bplaced.net), Fanfiction.net (www.fanfiction.net), M&M DreamWorks archive and blog gets preference and the desired and best format, all versions will first go to the blog and archive.

Disclaimer: Pokémon©1995-2011 by Nintendo, Creatures Inc. and GAME FREAK Inc.

Story Disclaimer: TFSTTM Reloaded©2011-? (ongoing) by Matthias aka MysticMew

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Narrator)

"Trainers, are you ready?" the referee asked needlessly of the two opposing finalists. Both young Trainers already had their first Pokéball out, clutched tightly and ready to be thrown. Looking close enough, you could see the fiery concentration, the intense focus only for their opponent and the battle ahead. You could truly not get more ready.

"In the green corner: From Pallet Town, Kanto. League Champion of Kanto and Johto and holder of various other titles, Junior Pokémon Master... Melanie "Leaf" Greenday!" The crowd roared at this. They had gotten quickly over their shock, the personal level the match had taken and the participation of an already acknowledged Champion had only intensified the hype.

"In the red corner: Also from Pallet Town, Kanto. Orange Isles Champion and Kanto Battle Frontier victor, final rounds participants in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn... Ash Ketchum!" Ash had garnered quite a fan base throughout the tournament and the answering cheer was easily as thunderous as for his opponent.

"This is a 6 VS 6 battle, the Trainers may switch Pokémon whenever they like. If a victory is scored, the winner may choose to change the battlefield. If a draw occurs, the Trainer who won the battle before retains the right to change the field. Trainers, at your ready!" The referee lifted both flags. Ash and Leaf both tensed up, the crowd edged forward in their seats – if they were even seated that was.

"At the end of a long road, it is finally here. Will Ash's dream be realized? Or will it shatter against the will of his old childhood friend?" I mused to the viewers... err, readers.

"The final round of this year's Sinnoh League Battle Conference... Begin!"

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Opening Theme (Dream Wing, Mai-Otome 1st Opening)

On the backdrop of the Sinnoh region map, Ash appears on the left, then Dawn on the right, then quickly between them Brock, Pikachu and Piplup. The logo appears behind them.

Mitsuketa no dream

dokidoki ga tomaranai

Ash sits on a boulder, his badge case in his lap. He is deep in thought, then looks up and we see a stadium, the view quickly zooming up to the fire ignited on top.

MEISTER DREAM

The scene flawlessly continues into a shot of the Grand Festival trophy, then quickly fades out to show a stage...

umaretano takaramono

mune ippai ni kirameki hajimeru

Before finding Dawn, sitting in a field of flowers. She has been looking up similar as Ash, but now looks down and places a hand over her heart, a soft smile on her face.

doushite konna ni fuan ni naru no kana

kakae kirenai omoi

namida koboreru kedo...

The screen splits showing Ash and Dawn running towards the image of the stadium/stage separately. They each reach out with their left/right hand but can't reach it. They become aware of each other then and this time both reach out with the other hand, clasping them together before jumping forward. The scene flashes white.

kitto itsuka tadori tsukeru yo

tsumadzui tatte akiramenai

Ash is in the middle of an arena, face serious, pointing forward. Pikachu jumps forward sparks flying. Quick shift through Ash's Sinnoh team fighting. Gabite fires off a Draco Meteor. From the burst emerges Buizel zipping by in an Aqua Jet, followed by Staraptor crossing paths in a diving attack. Torterra drops into the screen and lets loose with a hailstorm of leaves, out of which Infernape comes blazing and bathed in fire. He is joined by Pikachu running along with Volt Tackle.

yuuki dashite mae ni susumou

Dawn is in the stands, cheering them on along with Piplup. Brock is next to her a little reserved but also cheering. Ash is meanwhile facing off with Leaf. A Pokémon – it cannot be seen which – is sending out a blast of black energy.

chiisana ippo fumi daseba

hora ne, atarashii watashi

Pikachu burst forth, wrapped in a cloak of lightning. Ash looks on grim, a little helpless. A transparent image of Dawn appears behind him and gives him a huge. Ash balls his fist and takes a step forward. Pikachu bursts out of the black beam. The screen shifts one last time, Pikachu streaking in between Ash and Dawn standing arm in arm. Ash has a confident grin on his face and Dawn is smiling happily.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

M&M DreamWorks Presents

The Final Step to the Master Reloaded

First Arc: Breaking the Limit

Episode 6: Beginning of the End or End of the Beginning? Ash VS Leaf!

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Dawn)

I barely managed to make it up to the box in time. I had heard the announcement, of course, but at this point there really wasn't any surprise left. Still, seeing Leaf out there in the arena was different. Especially considering there was still one sitting in her usual place!

"Are you going to stay like this?" I asked without looking, concentrating on the field and wincing internally as the first matchup was obvious. Ash had decided to start with Torterra, an unusual move on the part of someone who preferred quick offense to tanks. Then again, Ash was known to frequently surprise opponents by changing and adapting as the situation called for it. Leaf's first Pokémon could be a problem though. Honchrow was a Flying type and as such had an edge over Torterra. At this level of training, even small advantages could become decisive.

"I don't think you have time to concern yourself with me," the Leaf-lookalike replied, aiming right at my own thoughts. And she probably was right. Whoever or whatever she was, my attention was already rooted to the center of the arena where Ash's and Leaf's Pokémon were squaring off. Honchcrow had immediately launched into a flurry of attacks. The speed was high but not to a degree where it would be impossible to follow. Torterra had experience with fast and flying opponents from many practice battles with Staraptor or my Togekiss. Despite elemental weakness it stood strong against the assault of Air Cutters, all but daring Honchrow to move in.

"I'm not worried," I stated my thoughts as I sat down next to Brock. "Wouldn't be the first time Ash has turned a type advantage around."

Honchcrow had also been unimpressed by the few counters so far. Nimbly it had evaded a Leaf Storm, some vine attacks and an Energy Ball thrown its way. The timing had been perfect on Ash's part but he didn't seem too disappointed. Right now both were testing out the other. The real fight would only begin once Honchrow began to close the distance. That was a double-edged sword. On the one hand Torterra would be more dangerous with the opponent up close but Honchcrow was primarily a physical-orientated Pokémon and would need the contact to really deal damage.

Apparently I wasn't the only one that came to this conclusion. "It could go either way," Cynthia remarked. "Honchcrow is strong with direct attacks while Torterra has superior defense in that regard. Honchcrow is faster and has the type advantage, while Torterra has a lot of endurance. It all comes down to strategy and timing."

That pretty much summed up the situation. The testing phase was all but over. Soon enough the real battle would begin and I anticipated the exchange to be as furious as it was brief. It was in Leaf's best interest to force a decisive strike fast. The longer this dragged out, the more Torterra would get the upper hand. That would open the chance for a counter. The result would depend, as Cynthia had pointed out already, largely on timing.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Ash)

I hated waiting. The fact that I got used to being more calm and patient, didn't mean I suddenly liked watching attack after attack raining down on my Pokémon. So far, I wasn't terrible worried though, In my opinion, if Leaf had started out with a Fire type or even worse an Ice type, we would be in a lot more trouble. Fliers Torterra knew how to handle and were easier to defend against than hazardous elements like Fire and Ice. There was only so much resistance you could teach a Grass type against Fire, and Ice was extra effective because of Torterra's Ground subtype.

All I needed now was to wait for an opportunity to bring Torterra's raw power into play. If I could do that, the type difference would hardly matter. Leaf was good at playing the waiting game though, she wanted to wear my Pokémon down some more before closing in and at the same time probably counted on me getting impatient. It was time for something drastic.

"Torterra, Synthesis." While technically a sound idea, Torterra had hardly taken enough damage to warrant healing at this point and it left him open for attack while performing the move. It was a dare and I hoped Leaf wouldn't resist. No, she couldn't pass it up. Allowing the healing would make any small progress void.

"Tailwind, then close in with Wing Attack!" I smiled thinly. Honchcrow was quick to respond and three seconds later literally phased forward, the extra boost in speed bringing it easily into the realms I was used to from my best Pokémon. So was Torterra. I did not need to announce the attack and that made it even more unpredictable and hard for the crow to avoid the sudden wooden barrier formed from Torterra's vines literally jumping out of the ground into his opponent's path. Honchcrow barely managed to avoid a full-on collision but got one wing scraped in the process.

I allowed myself a small smirk in satisfaction at seeing actual surprise in Leaf's face. The Synthesis had been mostly a feint. Torterra hadn't been focusing on the move and it probably hadn't healed anything – and didn't really need to – but served as cover for setting up the vines underground. And a lot more. I snapped my attention back to the battle, knowing I had to capitalize now or lose the momentum. "Rock Slide!"

"Get out of there!" Leaf countered in response, Honchcrow desperately moving to avoid the rocks hurled at it. It was clearly off-balance and that was all I needed right now. The attack was another distraction, of course. However, even if Leaf knew, taking the damage wasn't an option either.

"Now!" I commanded and the rest of the vines hiding underground erupted and snared up Honchcrow before it could get out of range. "Razor Storm!"

"Push free with Night Slash and counter with Air Cutter!" I had to give it to Leaf, she wasn't making it easy. Honchcrow ripped free of its constraints with a mighty effort but Torterra had already powered up his attack and the feeble counter was hardly enough to do anything against the hailstorm of razor-sharp leaves. I could definitely see that Leaf's Pokémon had the same kind of stamina mine had from the training as it endured the barrage much longer than one would expect even of a Flying type. In the end, the result was unavoidable. The moment it got caught in the attack sealed its fate.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Leaf)

"You did good, Snatch," I said while recalling Honchcrow. Glancing over at Ash I resisted a comment. I had taken to some psychological tactics in the past, mainly by taunting opponents until they lost their cool but I hadn't done so under the guise of Phantom and wouldn't start with it now. Ash deserved better and I doubted he would fall for it. His concentration hadn't slipped in the slightest and that was quite impressive. Many Trainers, regardless of how much experience they had, would show some elation at taking the first win in a bad matchup. Instead of doing that, Ash knew better. This was just the beginning. And oh was he right.

Snatch was one my relatively new Pokémon. The only reason I brought her first was because I expected my old friend to start off differently. Certainly not with his only real Tank. Snatch wasn't the most powerful but being my Hazer, she was a good choice to react to anything Ash would bring out and annoy him a great deal. How ironic that Torterra despite the type advantage was perhaps the most problematic matchup. Still, that didn't minimize the outcome. Ash's strategy and timing had been flawless.

"I hope you are ready," I said at last – as much to Ash as my Pokémon – and drew out my next Pokéball, throwing it up in a flawless motion. "Berserker!" Out popped Tyranitar in all its shining glory – in the literal sense. Golden scales covered almost the entire body, just a tiny hint of purple showing in the chest area. The Shiny Pokémon let out a deafening roar, signaling his readiness for battle – a more or less constant state – whipping up a sandstorm when his innate Ability kicked in. Now, Torterra was part Ground and as such immune to the effect but all we really needed was the invisibility.

"Hey, Leaf, is that supposed to be a theme?!" Ash called over the wind. "I hope you aren't taking it easy on me by just using a single main type!" I smiled at the comment, hearing the teasing nature in it. There was no need for an accusation. This was a battle after all that we had both been working towards. There were several reasons for using this team consisting mainly of Dark types. Mostly because I had always wanted to. Also I knew that Ash had few decent counters. His only halfway Fighting type was Infernape and he had not a single Bug type in his lineup. On the other hand he had no Psychic or Ghost types either to take advantage of. This would make the battles much more contests of skill rather than type.

"If I were you, I'd better watch out..." Every one of my Pokémon had my utmost trust and Ash would soon learn that such comments, even if said in jest, would be hard to swallow once I was done with him. "Berserker, Screech, then charge!"

Berserker was one of my three most powerful Pokémon. There was a lot more special about him other than his shiny color. And Ash would soon learn why. With thundering steps Berserker was charging towards Torterra while letting out an ear-piercing screech. The torrent of leaves rushing his way was expected and while I respected the power of that attack variation, it would not be so easy this time.

"Protect!" And then, while still running straight at his opponent, Berserker generated a protective barrier intercepting the assault. Ash called for Torterra to stop my Pokémon with his vines but a combination of Dragon Claw and Iron Head had Berserker still surging forward and already in striking distance. Ash was taken aback by the relentless charge, nothing able to stop the armored Pokémon.

"Energy Ball!" I had to give it to Ash that he still had the sense to try and salvage the situation. At this close distance the attack struck true but Berserker shrugged it off and countered with a Payback that send his opponent staggering a step back.

"Ice Fang!" The bad thing about a Pokémon as big as Torterra was that it presented a lot of targeting space. Off-balance from the previous attack, powerful fangs had an easy time to lodge into flesh, causing a howl of pain from the Grass/Ground type as the Ice-type attack was extremely effective and almost instantly causing some frostbite as well.

I had no intention of giving Ash even the tiniest chance of recovery though. "Now, Fire Fang!" Torterra roared again as his Trainer looked on it disbelief and slight helplessness. Going from hazardous frost to searing heat on the same spot, Torterra was no doubt unable to focus properly. Tyranitar's raw strength was enough to make it an extremely dangerous Pokémon. But his vast move pool, made Berserker an absolute raw face of nature... literally. "Finish it with Thrash!"

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Brock)

"That was fast," I commented, summing up the thoughts of all present. As impressive as Ash's first win was, the sheer force that Leaf's Tyranitar had unleashed was fearsome. Torterra was by far no slouch. Being a Trainer who had for a long time, and still to some degree, specialized in Rock-type Pokémon, I could appreciate a good tank. And I didn't mean that Tyranitar with that, not at first. Torterra had already been resilient and persistent as a Turtwig. The battle with Honchcrow had just reminded me of that. As such the choice Leaf had made next had stupefied me. Even I would have thought twice about such a matchup if I had other options. And I knew of at least one she had shown so far.

That just goes to show more that I should stop underestimating that girl, I thought. I had tried making some sense out of her before she dropped her mask and my impression had been of someone who made calculated and effective decisions. Of course, that had all been a mask, so how much of that was really her true fighting style, I had no idea. I wished Ash and Dawn had let me in on their suspicions. I wanted to help, damn it. I was really starting to feel a little left out...

Shaking my head, I pushed aside the dark thought. They had every right to behave like this. Freshly in love and all. It was quite obvious something happened yesterday. That they would get a little absorbed in each other was normal. Maybe I was just a little envious.

But, back to the battle. Tyranitar had hardly been slowed down by anything Torterra had thrown at it. And then the moves shown so far... "That's an interesting move combination," I mused. "I counted at least seven attacks in that one charge. Does that mean it..." I left the sentence hanging.

"Not necessarily," Cynthia made me jump slightly. She had been watching the battle intently and had not said a word since the beginning of the match. "The Limit Break isn't primarily responsible for learning an infinite amount of attacks. The attack limitation is not as static as some say. Usually the higher a Pokémon's intelligence, the more attacks it can learn. The only thing a Limit Break really does is allow the Pokémon to remember and instinctively use attacks they can learn naturally. There still is a limit on those moves that are being taught. The upper limit of four comes from this as it is about the highest amount average of moves one can learn through training. As with everything, there are exceptions though."

She paused to let the information sink in. Ash had meanwhile called out Gabite, a decent choice for this battle but I wondered if the difference in experience wasn't too big with regards to what Cynthia was just implying. Leaf had also had the battlefield changed to a stone field littered with rocks. "I admit though," she said again. "Tyranitar are not known for their high intelligence. While they can learn many different moves, so many diverse elemental attacks are uncommon."

"You speak as if you haven't seen her fight before," Dawn interjected and I had to agree on that point. Leaf was about to officially take her title, surely Cynthia as reigning Champion knew more about her team than anyone else.

Cynthia chuckled slightly. "Not with this team. I know the lineup, yes. But I have seen very little of them with one exception. Leaf wanted to try this team out badly. I have a feeling though she might have wanted to keep it a secret before the Master League. Ah, here comes her true ace."

I snapped my gaze back towards the field. Leaf had actually switched out Tyranitar which I found a little odd. In its place was now an Umbreon. I vaguely recalled what little Ash had told us about his childhood friend. Most notably was the story how instead of choosing one of the normal starters in Kanto, she had set out with an Eevee... Which would mean this was her first Pokémon now.

It seemed that after the supposedly good start, Ash was getting the third degree now. I hoped he had an answer ready or he might find himself in serious trouble soon.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Ash)

This wasn't good. I knew right away that I was in trouble. That Umbreon was practically oozing power. It was a feeling similar to what I had gotten used to from Pikachu. A quiet certainty, a large but justified confidence and a sense of raw energy so great it was almost tangible even to those that had no psychic abilities. This was the best way I could describe it.

No surprise there. I still remembered vividly the day when Leaf had come back with her first Pokémon. For one thing because of the sad departure still fresh in my mind after recalling our promise, but also for the surprise at seeing her not with either of the three starters. Leaf had explained that she could have had a free choice... but then she had seen the young Eevee, barely old enough to not be called a baby anymore. She had said then that she couldn't explain, that it felt just right to take the inexperienced young Eevee even if it might make things harder for her at the beginning. Of course, Leaf had laughed off this part. She had always liked a good challenge at hard odds.

I needed to see for myself though. There was no doubt that this Umbreon had to be her Eevee but I had honestly no clue about what it could do. The database on the island here was limited to participating Trainers and since Leaf had hid her identity, she hadn't been officially registered under her name. I seriously wished now that I had seen some of her earlier tournaments but the dates had often overlapped with my own.

"Careful, Gabite. Let's start out with Dragon Pulse." I almost expected Umbreon to easily evade the blast but it simply staid in place and took the attack full force. I frowned at the lack of reaction. There wasn't even a flinch. Even the remains of the Sandstorm conjured by Tyranitar didn't seem to bother Umbreon. I obviously had to take more drastic measures to get a reaction. "Dragon Claw! But keep your guard up." Not that I needed to say that. All my Pokémon were aware that in this battle the slightest mistake would decide loss or victory. Watching Gabite rush in, I already planned what Pokémon to send in next. The difference in experience was obvious and leaving Gabite in the battle for more than testing out the opponent was not advisable.

Umbreon had patiently waited for the attack and at the last moment, slipped below the strike in a graceful move that came so sudden that Gabite overshot and lost his balance. "Shadow, Mean Look." I winced when Leaf called out the move. So this had been her plan. Trapping my least experienced Pokémon against her most experienced. Months ago this might have thrown me off but I had learned to not lament the flow of a battle. There would always be surprises, especially against strong opponents. Expecting everything to go as you planned was foolish.

Shifting tactics, I resigned myself to a hard trial. Even if Gabite might not win this one, I would make sure a victory would cost Leaf dearly. "Jump, then come in with Rock Smash!" Gabite wasn't exactly used to using his wings yet. In fact Gabites couldn't really fly for long but it was enough to give him quite some aerial time and come in with even harder force. I was glad we had been training Rock Smash to balance out my lack in this area. Unfortunately it never came to this.

I was glad that I had briefly looked over to Leaf and saw her smirk, that gave me a small warning. "Toxic."

My eyes widened and I had to react quickly. Unfortunately I realized that I had unknowingly made a big mistake. Gabite had little maneuverability in the air. Barely any at all. "Dragon Pulse to the ground!" I hoped the force would be enough to alter his course but it was too little too late. The strong poison hit Gabite full on. "Gabite!" I called out at his wince but quickly railed in my emotions. I had precious little time left as it was. "Dig, then up with Brick Break!"

Gabite turned his already disrupted dive straight down and tunneled underground. Leaf was once more prepared though. Just as Gabite emerged with a roar, Umbreon performed a Double Team. There wasn't even a command this time – which didn't surprise me. I gritted my teeth at seeing the poison slowly seeping away at Gabite's health, steadily becoming more potent. Leaf wasn't done though. "Baton Pass."

This was quickly turning into a disaster as Umbreon returned to its Pokéball and Tyranitar took its place once again, earning the effects of Mean Look as well as the slight evasion boost from the Double Team.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Leaf)

I both loved and hated this kind of strategy. On one hand, it was extremely effective against pretty much any opponent who didn't have any means to either heal their status or force a switch to get out of the entrapment. On the other hand, such methods left a bitter taste. Still, this was a Pokémon battle and this was tactic. A tactic that made full use of Shadow's traits. Strong defense, high standing power. The outward appearance could fool but she was definitely a tank. As such raw power was not her strongest suit. An indirect damage move set went more in tune with an Umbreon.

If Ash didn't understand that, he would learn the hard way. It was honestly not a fair fight to begin with. Shadow could have won without the switch but I wanted to keep some surprises for later. No doubt I would need her at top strength for Pikachu. Weakened as it was by the constantly draining poison, Gabite stood even less of a chance against Berserker. Without it, I wouldn't put it beyond Ash to pull out a surprise. Now though, Berserker was all over the poor dragon with a barrage of attacks too many to keep track off.

That was my Tyranitar's most useful ability. To learn so many attacks outside of natural order was almost unheard off, even for a Pokémon that had broken their limit. Berserker had already had an outstanding move pool before I caught it and had put up a huge fight. Under my tutelage, it only got better.

One might say I was being too wasteful with revealing the ability by showing of his Strength move that caught Gabite blindsided and smashed it into the opposite side of the field, then using it to amplify the force with which Berserker was hauling rocks via Rock Slide – that was partly why I had chosen the field – at the downed Gabite who could barely fend off the attacks. Ash wasn't even getting to counterattack and the poison had almost done its job.

I might have refrained from using verbal psychology but breaking my opponent's confidence was never part of that resolve. Showing off the overwhelming power and versatility of Berserker was bound to discourage an opponent. Hell, it would drive all but those with the strongest will to despair. I knew Ash fell into that last category, now it was the time he showed it or this would be as far as he got today. I was curious how he would react.

Not anymore in this battle though. Gabite was on its last breath. The Toxic had reached a level where its health was drained drastically each time. One or two more and even all the endurance training in the world wouldn't help it. Time to put an end to this. Gabite had fought well against the overwhelming odds, the least I could do was to give it a proper finish. Waiting out for another desperate attack rush – to give credit to Ash he had no other choices left – I had Gabite's Brick Break countered with Berserker's own, locking the two Pokémon in a faceoff... or more like leaving Gabite trapped. "Iron Head." Doubling over, the dragon was wide open. "Dragon Claw." I could have used Ice Fang more effectively but Toxic had sometimes a nasty tendency to spread by such direct contact like a bite. The slashing attack was more than enough. In the end it was hard to say what did Gabite in. The attack or the last Toxic drain, however, it didn't get up anymore.

Curiously I looked over to Ash and was pleased to see that he was disappointed, frustrated perhaps, definitely saddened by the damage his Pokémon had taken – as would I. But there was no despair, perhaps some righteous anger that would only fuel his determination more. I had a feeling what he would do next and already planned accordingly.

"Referee, I want a water field." Ash looked at me skeptically but didn't change the Pokéball he had already retrieved, pretty much confirming my idea before his Buizel popped out and headed straight into the water. I suppose it would be daring to keep using Berserker but I wouldn't have chosen a water field then. Recalling him once more, I readied my next choice...

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Dawn)

"You are so quiet, lost your confidence?" the Leaf-imposter teased after the devastating loss of Gabite who – there was no nicer way to put this – got practically rolled over or stomped on as if a bug in the path of a giant.

"Not by a long shot. The battle has just started," I shot back, wondering about the need to reply to someone that wasn't even what she appeared to be with the real thing just down in the arena.

Come on, Ash, I thought, trying to squeeze my feelings of support and confidence through our link. I had no idea if that even worked. This wasn't a fantasy romance novel after all but whatever we had it was strong enough that I could feel Ash even from here. And that alone pushed aside my own worry. Ash had not been set back by the last battle. His ironclad will was as strong as over, a little dented maybe, but by far not enough to shake it yet.

"This will be an interesting match," Brock said when Buizel was facing off with Leaf's Sharpedo. Both were all about speed and attack. A somewhat even matchup. I wondered why Leaf had chosen this Pokémon now and even changed the field. With the way Tyranitar had dominated even against Torterra, I doubted it would have to fear a Water type. Leaf could have tried and perhaps achieved to make the lead big enough to give some real worry.

"That girl has always been clever. She can read a battle instinctively and knows when to change tactics to throw an opponent off. Changing to a water field and appropriate Pokémon now when she obviously expected Ash's choice, leaves her to dictate the course of the battle," Cynthia answered my silent question. And while I could follow the logic, I wasn't worried. I had seen firsthand how motivated Buizel was after getting taken out so fast against Paul's Metagross.

The two Pokémon were both trading various fast attacks in combination with employing Aqua Jet, making it a high speed battle mostly underwater. Buizel clearly had an advantage out of the water, which I personally suspected was one of the main reasons for a water field. Sharpedo was extremely fast underwater but Buizel could always escape over the water level if things got too heated. So far they were about evenly matched.

That changed when Sharpedo managed to get in close enough to employ its Crunch attack to one of Buizel's tails, inflicting enough damage to severely limit Buizel's maneuverability under water since he was used to propel himself forward with both his tails.

Ash wouldn't let us wait long for an answer though, playing on Buizel greatest advantage in this matchup. Using a powerful Water Gun as a boost, Buizel evaded a Super Fang and was catapulted out of the water. Instead of going over into an Aqua Jet, Ash once again showed his superiority in dominating the field. I think we were all kind of stunned how Buizel managed to ignore the obvious pain from his injury and use both tails to create a Sonicboom that actually did its name justice, crashing into the water surface with such force, my ears were still ringing by the time Sharpedo shot out of the water in a desperate escape. Leaf had just barely ordered it to and it became obvious why as the Sonicboom was timed well enough that it momentarily caused the water to split and launch up at the sides. For a few precious seconds both Pokémon were in the air and launching into an Aqua Jet...

This time the roles were drastically reversed though. Sharpedo was not a Pokémon that was very useful outside of water. And while Leaf obviously had it go through some midair training, Buizel was the true master in this area. Launching his opponent higher and higher, it almost seemed like Buizel was juggling Sharpedo. Leaf's Pokémon was rather helpless and while the water had already spilled back into the pool, that hardly mattered anymore. An Ice Aqua Jet froze Sharpedo's fins and then a devastating Focus Punch slammed it downwards. I didn't even know Buizel knew that move! And to fully seal the deal another Sonicboom drove right after the falling opponent and managed to catch it just upon contact with the surface, resulting in yet another eruption of water and probably a knocked out Sharpedo even before anyone could see it again.

Satisfied I threw the imposter a grin. "See?"

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Leaf)

Okay, that didn't go quite as planned. I should have known better than to think Ash wouldn't find a way to utilize the field to his advantage even though Hunter did have the upper hand in the water. That was something he had definitely had on me already and I found rather ingenious. The way he could make use of the surroundings was unparalleled and I had seen only very few Trainers who could do similar. Ash would always pull out at least one trick during a battle where a specific battlefield was involved... and sometimes more. Despite having studied it, I had felt confident to keep it from happening which had cost me the advantage that I had worked for with Tyranitar.

"What are you going to do now?" I called over the noise level. While the audience was relatively captivated and knew to stay quiet during a match, there was a lot of exciting moves to be seen today and we had just started warming up after all. I was fairly certain that Ash wouldn't keep Buizel in the fight. The wound to the tail hurt its mobility and thus keeping the water field around would only be a hindrance.

"I request the starting field." Which meant back to basic battlefield, no obtrusion, no hindrance. This battle was quickly becoming one of liked minds. The previous matchup was practically predetermined and what came now was also to be expected unless Ash had another surprise waiting. "I take that challenge," I mumbled. There really was no better way to determine just who was the better one at this point. Most of our "limited" Pokémon were gone. Two each already. At this point none of us would send one of our weaker ones against a much stronger one if it could be helped. "Go, Hellfire."

With a snarl Houndoom took the stage. I wasn't worried about Buizel at all. I doubted that Ash would leave him...

"Water Pulse!"

... or if I would be prepared. "Dark Pulse!" Hellfire countered the water attack with a similar black variant, resulting in a small explosion. What followed was a quick succession of moves that I quickly realized was nothing but a test probe. Buizel came in with a fast Aqua Jet but Hellfire had little trouble evading and casting a first Sunny Day. I waited a moment for the recall and then it didn't come had Hellfire send a Solarbeam barreling towards the Water type who to my astonishment managed to actually twist around the very fast beam and strife my Pokémon with a Focus Punch... only then did Ash recall Buizel.

I was surprised at my friend's boldness, to jeopardize one of his weaker Pokémon like this at this stage... No, I corrected myself. That was doing Buizel injustice. It had shown much more than in the matches before and deserved high appraisal. Not many Pokémon could say to have gotten a quick hit in against Hellfire while she was fresh, especially not when her opponent was clearly tired. Not that the damage was worrying. Ash had scored a psychological point this time, however.

As expected, Infernape quickly took the stage and Ash immediately took advantage of the weather condition. Sending me a brief challenging look which I returned with a confident one of my own, our attacks commands came practically at the same time.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Infernape)

Right away I knew that this opponent was unlike anyone I had faced before. Ash warned me that this matchup was almost inevitable and had shown me the videos from the semi final again. If I had to make a guess, I would say we were really around the same strength in most areas. Having a slight type advantage didn't mean much on our level of fighting but it also could make the tiny difference if played right.

As such the dual Flamethrower was as much for muscle flexing as it was to see the potency of the other's attack power. I only poured a fair amount of strength into the attack but doubted my opponent was giving it her all either. The resulting heat storm certainly was impressive for the observer but also showed what Ash and I had ascertained already. Houndoom were more balanced in its physical and elemental attack power. The latter was usually a tad stronger and as such in a pure long-range matchup I would not fare too well.

"Close in." I was already moving through the residue heat, attempting to use it as cover. Out of luck, I found my first punch dodged and barely managed not to get a bite in return before sweeping low with a kick that unbalanced my opponent. "Flame Wheel!" Turning my motion right into a spin, I quickly picked up speed, knowing that if I was going to do damage I had to do so with physical force rather than with fire.

"Counter with Fire Fang." My upward momentum was suddenly stopped and I struggled in disbelief against the hard and unrelenting jaws of my opponent. It didn't really hurt but... "Dark Pulse!" Exactly. I had nowhere to go. In fact I couldn't even move until I was forcefully ejected. I tried to slow down my fall but the attack had hit me at point blank and before I could shake off the pain, I crashed onto the arena floor, barely managing a hard roll that left my body wincing from the strain. Thankfully Dark-type attacks didn't do very much to me, however, I didn't feel like repeating the experience.

"Catch it when it comes down!" Gritting my teeth, I did my best to ignore the lingering pain. The anger at being thrown around like this helped the focus and I cocked back my fist, focusing fire into it while I waited as Houndoom descended from the air.

"Hellfire, use Will-o-Wisp." Blinking in confusion, I wondered about the use of that move in such a situation and against me as an opponent. There was no time to think about it as Houndoom was just entering my reach. Pushing off the ground, I laid full strength into the flaming uppercut... just as the seemingly wasted attack from before struck... my opponent. For a moment I was baffled but then my eyes widened. I would have cursed and probably stopped but I was already committed, striking the falling dog with a severe uppercut. Houndoom was thrown a good distance away but came down on all fours relatively unscathed.

In fact, it was probably more healthy than before. Ash and I had gone over Houndoom's data and as such I remembered its Ability. One of the two possible ones at least, the one which right now was the worst case scenario. Flash Fire not only increased a Fire types Fire moves but also served to absorb such moves to heal the user.

"Our turn, Flamethrower!" Given no time to think about the development, I was forced to jump away, cursing when I saw how big the attack had become... and Houndoom was sweeping her head around in an arc!

"Flame Wheel, push through it!" A little weary after the last use of the move, I still trusted my Trainer and cut through the flame from the side. Even the short time spent in the enhanced heat was making it clear that right now I wouldn't win this match by seeing who got the stronger flame. "Follow it up with Blaze Kick!" Smirking at the surprise from my opponent and her Trainer, I shifted upon landing and immediately sped towards Houndoom.

Where most Trainers would have panicked and tried to rely on non-Fire-type attacks only, Ash knew me too well. With a yell, I struck out at my baffled opponent...

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Ash)

Part of me wished I had found a way to teach Infernape Role Play. That would have really helped right now. Of course, I knew that the possibility existed that Houndoom had Flash Fire as its natural Ability but there was little else I could do about it. Buizel had fought really well and might have actually prevailed longer, however, the fight had been exhausting and damaging. And this move set was rather hazardous for a Water type as well. Sunny Day, Solarbeam and then an obvious Limit break. Pikachu might be able to deal better in this situation but I needed him for the end. Even the brief appearance of Umbreon had shown me that much.

Leaf's strategy so far had been perfect. The use of Will-o-Wisp in such a way was brilliant. Before that Infernape had the advantage. Both would do little with Fire-type attacks and both could profit from Sunny Day. Infernape's Fighting type was superior to Houndoom's Dark type though and that Solarbeam wouldn't real help Leaf's Pokémon either. With Sunny Day and Flash Fire Houndoom suddenly had upped the damaging potential of its own fire while severely limiting Infernape. He was used to employing his martial arts augmented with fire. It was so much internalized that trying not to do it would only throw Infernape off.

Which was why I didn't even try. Infernape still had the speed advantage. Sure the fire as it struck at his opponent in a flurry of moves hard to follow was actually healing Houndoom but most of Infernape's moves were actually dual based and the real power behind it came from his Fighting-type power with Fire merely giving an extra damage boost. That boost would now dampen the effect but not completely erase it. Since both Pokémon had broken their natural limit the advantages of that were equalized again. There was no point in concerning myself about a problem I couldn't really do anything about.

The battle had erupted into a close quarter slug fest and in that Infernape had the upper hand. Yet, his opponent was holding up much better than most others would. This was a battle of equals. Landing a Blaze Kick that lifted Houndoom clear off its feet, the dog struck out with its hind legs, catching Infernape hard under the chin before using the contact to flip over and letting loose with another Flamethrower. A quick glance showed me that the Sunny Day was waning and that meant it was almost time. There was still one ace I had left to play. "Do it now!"

Infernape quickly dived under the Flamethrower and dug into the ground, covering the short distance almost instantly and coming up with a Fire Punch. Houndoom actually dodged. Infernape's undaunted assault had obviously made it wary despite Flash Fire. That was what I counted on because it didn't pay attention to the second fist bathed in a pale blue. "Liquid Punch!"

Houndoom was driven back with a cry. Limit Break might give it a better resistance to water but it clearly wasn't expecting this. Infernape had taken elemental training to a new level when we came up with this attack. The principle behind it was to first learn Ice Punch, something naturally hard for Infernape but not impossible. After that the formed ice had to be heated until it liquefied to create water, superheated water. Much as I expected the attack was not absorbed by Flash Fire.

Both Pokémon were panting now. Infernape had dealt a lot of damage but the conditions had made sure it took a lot more effort. Both attacking and dodging at this high speed were exhausting. The next clash would probably decide it. Both Pokémon were now facing off, waiting for the defining moment. When, in a burst of flames, Infernape's Blaze kicked in, that was the unspoken signal for the final push.

"This is it! Give it everything you have," Leaf called out with a sudden burst of excitement that I could understand. This battle was really getting my adrenaline pumping and I caught myself several times wanting to jump down and participate, as stupid as that might be. "Overheat!"

"Break through, Flare Blitz!"

The Sunny Day effect was all but gone but that didn't lessen the spectacular show when Infernape's fire-clad form crashed against the enormous fiery blast. With his unwavering fighting spirit, Infernape surged forward through the heat, using the attack that was usual kind of a finishing move as a boost and finally jumped up the last distance, both arms flashing with liquid fire. The first hit came lead in with a Mach Punch and drove Houndoom down, preparing to end it with the second...

"Thunder Fang!" In an impossible seeming show of willpower, Houndoom managed to lift its head and catch Infernape's second fist with its jaw. There was a strong spark and then a small explosion. I winced hearing my Pokémon's cry of pain, already guessing what happened.

When the smoke cleared both Pokémon were out cold.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Pikachu)

Being an Electric type I had realized instantly what was going on and I believe Ash had as well. Unfortunately at such close range there was nothing to be done about it. Normally, lightning wouldn't do that much to Infernape. Heck, we sparred often enough that he should be used to much worse. However, that technique of his left him with something to conduct the electricity. With the Thunder Fang inserted directly into the liquefied fist, Infernape got himself quite a nasty shock.

That didn't entirely stop the attack but it made sure that both got hit hard, resulting in this double knockout. Glancing over to the other side I couldn't help but think that Ash's old friend was actually fairly satisfied with the outcome. I could see why as well. With Infernape out of the fight and Buizel still needing time to recover from his fight, the options to take down Tyranitar who had once more been sent out were getting slim to none. Leaf hadn't even waited if Ash wanted a field change, confident enough that her "tank" – and that was more than a figurative term – could further demolish our team.

"Pika," I looked up to Ash, seeing him deep in thought. I couldn't detect any concern, but then again... he hadn't been fazed by anything since starting this battle. Dawn had really done wonders for him. Still, I could sense the tension. That was normal enough for an important battle like that. The intense focus, the concentration needed to be ready to react to anything possible to imagine and then some in an instant. He was debating how to proceed right now. "Pikachu, Pi! (Let me go!)"

However, Ash shook his head, his eyes hardening as if coming to a conclusion. "No. You'll need to save your strength for last. We are a team, so we have to trust in everyone." I blinked in shock and a little dread as he withdrew the last Pokéball he had yet to use. Could he be serious? He was, I concluded and then smirked slightly. That was so Ash for you.

It also seemed he clearly had a plan.

"Referee, I want the water field again." Oh yeah, that was going to be interesting. As the ground shifted, Tyranitar suddenly found itself on its own small island, completely enclosed, bereft most of what had made it barrel through Torterra and Gabite before. Not helpless by far. If the attack repertoire so far was any indication I had no trouble believing that even as a standing target it would be extremely dangerous. You know what they say about a cornered wild animal...

"Staraptor, go!" Many would have severely debated that using a Flying type in this situation was close to suicide. Not those that knew Ash and honestly not those in the audience right now. Leaf had just proven how to turn a potentially very bad matchup into a draw. Much like Buizel, Staraptor was also very motivated after her loss against Paul's Electrivire. She had done well then but still lost and compared to this opponent, Electrivire had been at least a few notches below on the totem pole. That had never stopped any of Ash's Pokémon. She could make it. Ash was right. We just had to believe.

"What about it, Leaf? Want to switch?" Ash called over, underlining the dare he had thrown his opponent with words. Both knew it would not happen. Leaf was a lot like Ash in that regard, that much I knew. While both were tactical about this match, this was also a personal fight they both wanted. With every match it had become more heated, more intense. I could feel it from Ash, the connection between those two ignited to burn brighter and brighter still as both tried to overcome the other. Pulling back from a challenge now was almost impossible.

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Leaf)

"Heh, I don't see why I should."

I honestly wasn't sure if Ash was actually brave or desperate. Perhaps a bit of both. Not that I couldn't understand his dilemma. No doubt he had hoped that Infernape would score a clear win against Hellfire and be ready enough to take on Berserker. Now his options were limited, more like nonexistent. Ash knew well enough that if he wanted a chance against Shadow, Pikachu would need to be one hundred percent fresh. The previous draw was really in my favor. Sure, a win would have probably decided the match but even this way, Ash was with his back against a wall. Desperate enough to NEED a Flying type to score a victory against Berserker.

The field choice was actually brilliant. It left him the option of sending in Buizel again if he managed to drag out the fight long enough too... We'd see about that. Time to get things moving. "Stone Edge!" Despite the once again raging Sandstorm, Staraptor easily saw the attack coming and evaded.

"Whirlwind!" I gasped, having not expected this. Ash seemed actually focused on this confrontation. Would he really... Even as I thought this, I realized that the move was not designed to serve its actual purpose. In fact it wasn't really the move Whirlwind which would cause an opposing Pokémon to switch out in battle, but more a fierce flapping of wings which blew away the sight-clouding Sandstorm. "Aerial Ace!"

I was still a little off-balance from the surprise which obviously was what Ash counted on. In a flash Staraptor was in Berserker's range but instead of following through with the attack, it came in with its feet outstretched. "Close Combat!" Ah, that was it. Of course. To be frank, there really was just one way Ash could hope to score in this battle. That also made him rather predictable and vulnerable though.

"Block it." Berserker grunted as he took some of the hits but eventually managed to parry the following and finally made a grab for the bird whose close proximity left it rather exposed. Before my Pokémon could restrain his foe though, Ash called for Staraptor to break away and it barely managed to slip out of reach.

This was going to be a waiting game I figured. With Berserker's movements restrained to the solitary island, there was little I could do for now other than range attacks which would mostly serve as a distraction, the opponent too fast to be actually hit by them... yet. Thus I could allow myself to observe Ash and his reactions. Despite the pinch he was in, his focus hadn't changed. In fact he seemed to look even more confident. No, not just confident. Belief shone in his eyes. Even against the odds, he had full trust in his Pokémon's ability to pull this off. For him victory would not be a miracle but a certainty.

He had really come a long way in this tournament. It seemed he had taken the final distance to true mastery. Whether or not he would win or lose this match, in my eyes my best friend had proven himself already. Right now though, I was committed. Ash would not forgive me if I pulled my punches now. This had gone far beyond a test.

"Again!" I frowned when Staraptor dove in for another pass but this time there was no stop and Berserker was struck by the Aerial Ace right at the exposed section of his armored body. Not that it did much but I decided I had done enough waiting. I would not play Ash's game forever.

"Shockwave!" Once again Berserker's greatest asset came through. To be fair, I hardly used some of the moves he could do but it was always good to have them. The electric current struck Staraptor just as it came around. "Follow it up with Ancientpower!" Without giving it a moment to recover, Berserker struck the bird with a multicolored beam, literally blasting it out of the sky. I was pleased to see that the effect of the move had kicked in but the match should be all but over now. Unbalanced from the shock, Staraptor had been struck hard and to top it off, there was only water to land in. With a big splash the Bird Pokémon vanished in the water, the field Ash had chosen now suddenly working against him.

For several seconds nothing happened. The stadium had gone almost completely silent in anticipation. I began to wonder if Staraptor had fainted underwater and sunk, worried I might have done too much damage. I was just about to mention it to the referee when the water seemed to start moving, creating small waves as if something was swimming underneath the surface at very fast speed. In disbelief I watched Staraptor break the water surface, shaken, hurt, angry but very much capable of fighting, shooting with high speed towards my equally stunned Pokémon. Ash's attack command came more retroactive than anything else. "Brave Bird!"

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Ash)

Staraptor by nature never quit. You could hurt one, you could bring one so close to passing out, it should by rational standards just stop and lie still. However, they would not stop. Not until they had really and truly completely passed out. My Staraptor took this defining ability to heart and throughout the training only proved it to the extreme. At times I really worried for her health. Right now, I was glad about it. For a moment I had been worried when she had crashed into the water. Yet, our training had even covered such situations. Where other birds would get seriously hampered by just falling into the water, soaked wings making it much harder to fly as smooth as a battle situation required, Staraptor had learned through determined work to spend a short time underwater and use her wings kind of like a fish would its fins, gliding along and creating enough momentum to surface with enough speed that would create enough friction to negate any immediate negative side effect of having staid underwater.

With this much momentum behind her assault, the powerful move once again struck Tyranitar at its weak point, this time clearly with more of an effect. The hulking beast was driven back by the force, began to tumble, feet losing their strong stand as Tyranitar began to fall backwards slowly. For a moment elation swapped through me. So far this opponent had seemed unstoppable. No, unmovable would be a more appropriate term for the current situation.

My moment of mounted hope was shattered when Tyranitar on the verge of losing its footing, managed to catch itself. Faster than I could react, Leaf and her Pokémon took advantage of the situation. "Thunder Fang!"

Knowing I could not allow the move to connect with Staraptor soaked, I had to react quickly. "Counter with Close Combat!" Staraptor managed to smash her feet into Tyranitar's head as it tried to bite her. There was little time though to celebrate that hit or hope to continue the assault.

"Strength!" Unable to dodge, Staraptor was struck hard by a powerful punch, launching her away from the platform and high into the sky, tumbling about wildly. I gritted my teeth. Things had finally seemed to go my way but I should really have expected that Leaf's Pokémon would not go down that easily. "Keep it up now, Berserker! Rock Slide!"

We weren't done though either. No, we were just starting. I could feel it now. Much like with Pikachu and Infernape before, I could feel the beginning of the change. "Staraptor!" I called out for her, nothing else necessary as the rocks began to pound her, piling the damage and making it seem impossible that she could recover from this. I conveyed all my trust into that one shout though, hoping to reach whatever little barrier was still holding her back.

And indeed, my valiant friend seemingly impossible began to stabilize her mad tumble even under the onslaught of attacks and finally broke through, starting to weave through the continuous rain of rocks, bathed in a bright glow that would remind most spectator as if she was evolving but flickering in bursts of multi-colored light.

I grinned. Breaking the natural limit was in fact more than a physical achievement. In fact, a big part of it was a spiritual effort. Without a much stronger than average bond between Trainer and Pokémon it was hardly possible. Sure, some wild Pokémon were known to have achieved the state on their own, that was very rare though. To try and break the natural bonds inflicted on a Pokémon, one had to get in tune with the primal force slumbering in each, seize it and go beyond it. The most commonly known method to achieve this was why most Trainers would have trouble going through with it even if all other conditions were met. I too had found myself troubled.

To find the kind of inner clarity to touch the very essence of their life and power, a Pokémon would have to literally stare death into the eyes and then spit in his face. A truly life-threatening situation was certain to bring about these abilities... if the Pokémon could overcome this challenge. This required an unshakable will, a burning desire to live, an unstoppable drive to rise beyond the pain, rise beyond the impossible and achieve his or her goals. This was the point where the Trainer came in to help out greatly. With a bond strong enough to convey their feelings, they could help to strengthen the needed resolve and achieve the Limit Break.

"Giga Impact!"

Once again the arena was rocked by a sonic boom. Staraptor had been fast before, now it had really broken the speed of sound and beyond. Leaf and Tyranitar had not even a moment to breathe, much less react, before Staraptor slammed into her foe. However, not from above. No, she had slipped into a curve and hammered into her opponent's jaw, this time clearly lifting it of its feet... presented just right for what she had never gotten quite right before but I knew was now possible. "Aerial Combat!"

A series of blows with wings and feet slammed into the helpless Tyranitar while both Pokémon were hovering in midair. Too fast to follow, the position impossible to even think of a counter. Before long the barrage ended with a well-placed slap of both wings like a hammer blow that drove Tyranitar down... right into the water.

Once more silence reigned and the situation was almost reversed compared to before. However, Tyranitar would not come up again. The damage it had taken was too severe. Aerial Combat was a variation, but still very much a Fighting-type move. Staraptor's power had also risen dramatically through the Limit Break and finally the field was now really working to my advantage. There was only so much elemental resistance training you could do, the fact remained that Tyranitar was a Rock type and even more important... a very heavy one. I couldn't imagine...

Even as I thought this, it was my turn to stare in disbelief when the water started to rise up. Gripping the edge of my platform I could only watch in stunned amazement and dread as Tyranitar broke the surface with a mighty roar... riding on top of a mighty wave as if it was mere child's play...

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

(Narrator)

"The twists and turns this battle has already taken, have found a new height. Staraptor has broken her natural limit but Tyranitar seems relentless and even more unstoppable now. Can Ash still pull off a win in this fierce competition? We will see in the explosive conclusion of this historical match... next time!"

I ran off to dodge various objects thrown at me...

*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****TFSTTM*****

Author's Notes

Heh, I warned you about the cliffhanger. Okay, I think it's not that bad, could have been much worse.

Yay, 10k mark once again passed (well, if we take the header and other non-story elements too). It has been awhile.

I seriously have only a few things to mention. First of all Leaf's Dark-type theme is kind of reflecting my own favorites. Back in the old days when Pokémon was still simple and there were actually useful things like Stadium and Coliseum, I was rather taken with the existing Dark-type Pokémon and would often use a weird Psychic/Dark lineup. It was still feasible then since the setups greatest trouble, Bug-type moves, were almost non-existent. Umbreon, Houndoom and Tyranitar were my favorites then and still kind of are, seeing as until B/W now, there hasn't been much of a decent addition to Dark types (except Darkrai I suppose). Umbreon's set was definitely one of my most used strategies. Toxic, Mean Look and Moonlight (perhaps with some Leftovers) makes it almost invincible unless you get a hazer.

I hope you all liked the way the battle is going, there are still quite some surprises left. The idea with the winner changing the battlefield was a spur of the moment thing and at first I implanted it but for a time almost forgot it. ^_^ But later on I was glad I had thought about it since this way I could implant some interesting twists at the end. Twilight pointed out to me that he would have the loser choose. I kind of understand the reasoning but I thought it more of a motivation to not lose. Besides, I'd have to rewrite the entire last portion then and change the preplanned matchups... nope, I'll keep with it. To be fair, except for the conclusion of the current matchup, the field won't be that important in the last ones.

I wanted to correct some of the conceptions about attack limitations for awhile. I know, I tend to go a lot above even the supposed normal four unnatural moves but as I had explained, that is the normal limit, not an absolute. Both Ash and Leaf have gone through similar training regiments and you should expect above average by now... :)

As for Leaf's name... I just left it in there for now and am going to comment on it later. Yes, Leaf is going to be her nickname but I am honestly not too sure about her real name yet. So if I find something more appropriate in the future, I might change it.

On a completely unrelated note/rant... I am currently watching the latest One Piece episodes online and am nearing the end... I am now at 483 (finished). Without giving away spoilers but... Honestly, they are ending it like that? After well over 50 episodes of buildup, pretty much ditching the usual cast for this and finally coming to a seemingly successful conclusion, one episode later it ends like that?! Honestly, that was just extraordinary cruel... And I won't say more on it. Those who know what I'm talking about, will understand.

Feedback please. Oh, and... Paolo, either I get a response from you in the next few days or I consider the test run a failure. I'm sure you have had your reasons (I hope) but I don't appreciate to be left sitting for over a month for one episode. In that time I could have probably given it to Ay and been done with at least one.

On that note, I probably still need a beta, so my previous call for one still stands. Honestly I need little more than a second proofreading from someone who is either a native speaker and/or very good with the language. Everything else, like extensive anime knowledge etc., would just be a bonus for now. The most important thing, however, is that they are reliable. I realize I write huge chapters and I don't expect them back in two days. But a week tops or so should easily be doable. If you accept, I expect my beta to be committed and not let me hanging for a month. Seeing as I won't get everything beta'ed before I'm finished with this arc, I will have posted my slight revisions of the earlier episodes (narrator addition and some subtle things) with the release of this chapter as alpha versions. Who knows... Seeing as I'll make a break and see to some other things after this arc, I might get Ay to beta again. Still, send me a message if you are interested. Having more than one would after all lighten the workload.

Ja ne, yours

Matthias

Previous Episode | Index | Next Episode

Send Feedback

M&M DreamWorks©2013 by Matthias Engel aka MysticMew. | Impressum | Contact Info